20?’s with dcypher
1. What do you write? And where are you from?
I write Dcypher CBS DTR originally from Christchurch New Zealand
2. How long have you been into letters & such?
Since around 1995 I started tags and outlines! Been interested in art since I was a kid though,my pops bought me subway art at the age of 13 and it was a done deal from then.
3. What are you’re influences that give you the drive to paint?
So I’m not completely forgotten when I die! And to make the people around me want to push the art form further in this never ending search for style.
4. Do you listen to music when you paint, and what’s you’re play list?
I listen to the street you should be totally aware of your surroundings at all times! But other than that el- p and mf doom are at the top of the list!
5. What’s the process when painting a wall nowadays?
It changes every time, having everything planned out is boring but you often get a better result. So I try have some kind of plan!but try to change it up a bit in the spear of the moment
6. How did you get in the crew?
Met Haste CBS through a good friend of mine and started painting with him and other members of the crew and eventually got jumped in and got the shit kicked out of me!
7. What’s the weather like where you reside @? To fucking hot all the fucking time!
8. What’s the direction of you’re work headed this and next year?
To be honest I have no real direction,but painting giant burner productions is at the top of the list!
9. Any travel plans in the works? Always looking to travel but heading home for a visit soon to rock some walls, recent earthquakes destroyed my home town so I’m looking to revitalize the spirt of my beloved city!!
10. Are you doing any public projects or art shows we should be aware of? I’m working with ” I wuz here” on some mural advertisements through out my neighborhood .
11. What names did you start off with? I used to write just ” cypher” then got snapped and being a dumb ass teenager just put a D in front of it and have been going strong ever since!
12. Do you have any good paint stories ? Not really but constantly evading the pigs for a good 7 year period painting trackside walls during the day is a good one!
13. Who are you’re 5 top MC’s ?
Metal face Doom
14. What is you’re favorite brand of paint? And why?
Any brand that wasnt designed for graffiti, a good writer should be able to paint with anything they can get there hands on! Style over technique!
15. What are you’re thoughts on this years presidential race?
It’s a big fucking sham, but go Ron Paul
16. Favorite childhood toy?GI joes many versions of Storm shadow! And any ninja related weapons .
17. Any good artist’s we should keep an eye out for? Isrek Aub 159
18. Can you describe you’re style and where it comes from? I’m kinda a style chameleon but like painting tradition 2D style but rendered 3D . Originally new Zealand
was influenced by the states of couses but we had a lot of euros come over and influence the style, likes of loom it, daim, ECB, and of course Australian scene played a big part.
19. Do you collect anything, and what do you collect?
Fat cells and tar in my lungs!
20. Can you tell us places you have traveled or exhibited in? NZ Australia US and England and France
Any shout outs? Ikarus and Freak from DTR and of course CBS! And a special thanks to king Supher!!!
Find Dcypher on instagram @elbizzar02
and find me on instagram @supher
first off…thanks for taking the time to do this for me…I know the NY is super busy..
1. first off where do you come from and where is your new location?
houston TX – NYC
2. what do you write?
3. what’s your favorite pastime?
Creating / Drinking / Traveling / Hanging out with the homies…
4. what motivates you?
5. what occupy’s most of your time?
Work and gett’n ready for CC8…
6. who are you’r favorite designer’s in fashion,painting,photography,graphic design?
Alexander McQueen, martin margiela, hani rashid, it’s a long list…
7. who are your influences ?
the unknown, beauty that derives from pain and balance…
8. what are you bumping at the moment?
Kid Cudi, Sublime, Frank Sinatra
9. who put you on to graff?
10. favorite writers?
I like them all!!!
11.what can people expect from you in the future?
12. What advice do you have for people who want to do what you do?
don’t be scared to do you!
13. top 5 fav quotes?
SAS!!! so you learn
it wasn’t me….
look it muy chingo!
just do it!
14. What’s a Pina?
15. favorite site’s to peep?
16. Mason Moore or Alexis Texas?
17. Tell me about “Power Up”?
18. Can you tell me about the time in NY with Yikes.
Pinche Yikes, almost gets ran over crossing the street running to the Dunkin Donuts after a day of painting at Tuff City…
after ordering his donut and diet pepsi he begins to wobble toward us while taking a bite of his donut and then washing it
down with his soda… as soon as this happens Supher says “I need power” and Yikes was recharged!!! – you really had to be there…
19. Favorite taco?
the menu from Taco Haven #1!!!
20. Who’s doing it big right now?
starting my owns men’s wear line line that will become the definition of true american luxury…
to the entire Laws/BY familia…
1.First off. What do you write ?
2.where do you live and where are you from?
Dayton, Ohio the gem city
3. How did you get your name?
I switched my name from SEAR cause of some whack kid stated painting SEER and everyone thought his stuff was mine. I kind of was really wanting to do some big mad scientist painting so at the time I stumbled across CHEMIST
4. How long have you’ve been writing ?
5. What is your background in art ?
My aunt was an amazing fine artist and potter so I always drew and did some type of art. I never really pushed my art till long after being out of high school
Any formal school?
AAS in design specializing in print
6. You have any good graff stories?
Way way to many involving gun shots, wild dogs in the train yard, copers, and shit getting fucked up!
7. What’s your favorite quote?
“another perfect day in the perfect life” Corrie
8. Largest wall you’ve done to date?
A wall downtown Dayton for the city, 40ft wide 80ft tall
9. Who are your influences in the art world ?
Wow so many people…. 123klan, 3kings tattoo, koffie, mamma sauce printing, Ken Taylor, too many to list
10. Where do your ideas come from for your style of pieces ?
They come from all over, I pull inspiration from industrial design, print design, movies, signage, fashion, motorbikes, abandon properties and buildings, nature
11. What kind of tricks have you discovered using spray paint or is it trade secrets ?
I got a few up my sleeve but I always have a big bag of different caps for sure!
12. What’s your favorite paint to use ?
Black line, gold line, hardcore, ironlak
13. You have any other hobbies other than painting?
Playing bones, riding my motorbikes, doing some woodworking, slapping a little ping pong.
14. Favorite cartoon growing up?
Tom & Jerry, GI Joes, and transformers.
15. How do you feel about “street art”?
Some is cool some I want to poo on. I’ve been doing a lot of large scale printed images in some works so been appreciating things a little more
16. What can you say to young kids wanting to get into this culture?
Work hard, draw your ass off, earn everything you want, never take anything for granted, and keep your eyes opens to learn everything you can from any one. Be smart and lee your ego at home cause you are no one even when you are someone.
17. You excited about painting at CC8?
Hell yeah I am. I always love CC
18. Whats your favorite to paint on wood,metal,brick,glass,canvass?
Wood for some things and brick or block for walls! I miss the cold steal trains though.
19. Favorite writers in no order?
Thought I already answered this? Anyone that gets me excited on painting air that is doing something awesome.
20. Any places you’ve traveled to paint?
NY, ATX, San Antonio, Chicago, PA, Vegas
To my crews BY Clique & LAWS. Color Logistik Group. Free Duo, it won’t be too long!