Hold on I’m gonna grab me a bite to eat real quick…ok I’m back
1.First off. What do you write ?
Hello, my name is Awful
2.where does your ass sleep at night and where are you from? My ass sleeps in my comfy ass bed…an I am from Colorado
3. How did you get your name?
I was sent to a training in an oooold job of mine for work while I was taking notes they kept on saying Awful Awful and I liked how it looked on the paper…and it stuck
4. How long have you’ve been writing ?
I have been writing for a minute or two
5. What is your background in art ? Any formal school?
Background in art would be under bridges, freight yards (hoppers,gondolas back in them days ha I didn’t know any better) oh and I would sketch on paper every once in a while..no formal art school
6. You have any good graff stories?
Yeah there is a ton of em…recently we lost a can in the yard…spent an hour and a half looking for it never found it compromised with a different color…(it was a main color some faces) came home next morning looking through the bag..it was still in there haha #fail
7. What’s your favorite quote?
8. Where can someone see your work?
Flickr under Awful one or under the Creatures Crew flickr as well
9. Who are your influences in the art world ?
Art world? Umm Craola Alex Pardee Dabs Myla and so on
10. Where do your ideas come from for your style of pieces ?
Well since I started I always wanted to do wild style pieces and thats what everyone was doing around here
11. Any other mediums you work with or are in the process of using?
Umm I’m in a model train show next weekend in LA called the Steel Giants ..if your in that area go check it out! And buy one of my model trains! It starts March 10th at the GCS in Pamona CA
12. What’s your favorite paint to use ?
Favorite paint to use would definitely be Montana gold or 94…of course rusto but they are forcing me not to using it anymore with their new cap designs
13. You have any other hobbies other than painting?
Yeah I like to run,lift weights, and work on my 51′ ford
14. Favorite cartoon growing up?
Hmm.. I like the Underdog, Futurama, Bevis and Butthead and Top Cat!
15. How do you feel about graphic design being used in graffiti today?
I know lots of people that hate it but it’s getting more accepted by society and that means more walls and Commision jobs…so I’m not mad at it
16. What can you say to young kids wanting to get into this culture?
Don’t hop on to the bandwagons do what you want to do and not what every one else is doing
17. Can you give us any insight on what you plan on doing art wise in the next couple of years?
There is no telling I’m a pretty busy guy
18. Whats your favorite to paint on wood,metal,brick,glass,canvass?
19. Favorite writers in no order?
hmm.. Kwest Sigh Jher East Vogey Serval River Hex Atlas…the list goes on…everyone is super fresh now a days
20. Any places you’ve traveled to paint?
There is a few..I love to paint trains so wherever there is a good freight spot is where I wanna be!
CREATURES CREW! RTDK! CBS!
And my man DAVE FOTO!
1.what do you write?
I WRITE JABER MOSTLY…SOME TIMES OTHER THINGS, SOME PEOPLE KNOW, SOME DON’T.
2. how long have you been coloring in walls & metal?
IT FEELS LONGER BUT SINCE 93′ IS ABOUT RIGHT..POSSIBLY 92 91 BUT WAY SMALL LEVEL! LIKE HIGH SCHOOL BATHROOM LEVEL SO I DOUBT THAT WILL COUNT.
3. what part of world do you reside?
WEST COAST AND ANY WHERE A PLANE WILL TAKE ME.
4. what projects are you working on at the moment?
OH MAN THAT IS A LONG ANSWER…BUT HERE GOES.. IM WORKING ON A FEATURE TRAIN FILM WITH AWARE,I AM WORKING ON VIDEOS FOR OINK ART LTD
(AKA-JAMES) I AM WORKING WITH 3 CLOTHING COMPANIES ONE IS WITH MY LADY IT IS CALLED 2 NINJAS..SO PEEP THAT SHIT FOR SURE. I CAN’T NAME ALL THE GALLERY SHOWS THIS YEAR BECAUSE THERE IS 2 MANY AND ON A SIDE NOTE I HAVE AN ALTER EGO PROJECT THAT DOES STREET ART SHOWS (CAUSE OF THAT DAM BANKSY MOVIE) ALL THAT ART SELLS THE FASTEST SO I HAVE TO ADDRESS IT. I AM IN STICKER COLLABS WITH 5 ARTISTS RIGHT NOW AND THAT NUMBER IS GROWING. I AM WORKING WITH FRESH PAINT LATELY DOING VIDEOS OBVIOUSLY BUT ALSO TRYING TO GET IT OUT THERE SO YOU MIGHT SEE ME IN YOUR TOWN ON A RANDOM TIP! THE ALL CITY BRANDING COMPANY WITH SLOKE AND REI FROM TEXAS, AND I STARTED A REVIEW COMPANY WITH MY BUDDY FROM GRAFF HEAD BUT THATS ANOTHER STORY…
5. favorite memory so far in your graff career ?
THAT IS A TOUGH ONE….IT ALWAYS FELT BETTER IN THE YOUNG DAYS 97-2000 WHEN IM IN OTHER STATES STEALING , BOMBING LAUGHING AT SILLY STUFF WITH MY FRIENDS AND TRYING TO MAKE A NAME…ONE TIME IN 95 0R 96 I DID A BACK OF A HUGE BILLBOARD-MOVIE SCREEN WITH SHAPER AND WE ALMOST STOLE THE BULL DOG THAT WAS SECURING THE PROPERTY..THEN SHAPE FLIPPED UPSIDE DOWN ON THE FENCE JUMPING OVER HE JUST HUNG UPSIDE DOWN STUCK ON HIS HIP HOP BOOTS..THAT WAS FUNNY TO ME…I LIKE TO LAUGH
6. any good painting stories ?
OH SHIT SHOULD OF READ THIS BEFORE I WROTE ALL THAT OTHER SHIT..
ONE TIME IN ATLANTA SPURN AND I WERE WALKING THROUGH THE GHETTO AND A HOBO DRUNK CAME AT SPURN WITH A KNIFE..BUT HE WASNT THAT AGGRESSIVE. WE KIND OF LAUGHED IT OFF. ONE TIME I WALKED 3 MILES TO DO TRAINS AND WHEN I WALKED BACK THIS GANGSTER TRIED TO JAK ME FOR MY CELL PHONE…I WROTE A LONG VERSION OF THE STORY BUT IT NEVER GOT PRINTED…LONG STORY SHORT HE WAS BIG BUT DRUNK I WAS TIRED AND PISSED SO I ENDED UP FUCKING HIS FACE UP BASED ON MY WRESTLING EXPERIENCES (THANKS HIGH SCHOOL-I GUESS I DID LEARN SOMETHING) COPS WERE A BLOCK AWAY BUT THEY DIDNT GIVE A FUCK…SOCIETY IS FUNNY.. I GOT LUCKY THAT NIGHT.
7. what’s in your ipod at the moment that your listening to?
EAGLES OF DEATH METAL……..
8. where can we see your work?
WISH I COULD SAY EXACTLY BUT I WOULD SAY YOU HAVE A GOOD CHANCE TO SEE ME ON METAL.(U.P-BNF-FERROMEX-CN- A LITTLE CSX AND R BOX) BEEN DOING MORE SHOWS AT CREWEST IN LA HOPEFULLY YOU SEE ME UP IN YOUR TOWN BECAUSE I TRY TO DIVERSIFY MY UPS-ART WORK…..OR AT LEAST A STICKER ….
9. any movie you want to tell people about ?
YES. THE AUTUER…DOPE MOCUMENTARY..FREE ON HULU AND MAYBE THE NEW TRAIN FILM “KUTTING LINES” NO NEED TO SAY MORE…..
10. what’s some good advice you wanna tell stripper;s?
A STRIPPER? HMMMMMM…SAVE YOUR MONEY OR INVEST WISELY CAUSE YOU WILL LOOSE YOUR BEAUTY ONE DAY.
11. how do you feel about texas toast?
FUCKIN LOVE IT.
12. what’s in your to go bag?
TO GO BAG? LIKE LUGGAGE? OR FAST FOOD TO GO BAG?
13. do you have a “bug out” bag on hand?
I DONT DO DRUGS…
14. any favorite paint’s to use?
ON THIS FRESH PAINT SON…BUT I ALSO LIKE RUSTO AND MONTANA HARDCORES AND 94!
15. how’s the sticker game going?
THAT GAME IS NUTS…INFACT MOST PEOPLE KNOW ME FROM THAT SHIT. THEY HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT THE REAL WORK I DO BUT WHAT EVER IM NOT TRYING TO SHOW EM MY HISTORY BOOKS…IT WOULD BE NICE IF KIDS DID RESEARCH BEFORE THEY JUMP INTO THE GAME ..BUT STREET ARTISTS HAVE A DIFFERENT LOOK ON THIS ART. I SELL STICKER PACKS AND THAT GOES WELL, I TRADE AS WELL BUT I DONT REALLY TRADE WITH EVERY ONE. STICKERS ARE JUST TO EASY TO THINK THEY ARE IMPORTANT..BUT TO KIDS THEY ARE !
16. you a carnivore or veggie tale?
I EAT MEAT.
17. fav quote?
“CHARGE IT TO THE GAME”
18. dog or cat lover?
DOG….INFACT GOOD QUESTION IF YOUR A DOG OR CAT PERSON TELLS ALLOT ABOUT YOU. TO ME IT’S ALL ABOUT LOYALTY DOGS ARE LOYAL AND YOU CAN COUNT ON UNCONDITIONAL LOVE FROM A DOG…CATS …NOT SO MUCH…BUT SOME CATS ACT LIKE DOGS SO THATS COOL…BUT ITS A DOG FOR ME!
19. favorite female artist music,painting,photography,film
MARGO TIMMINS,HOPE SANDOVOL FOR MUSIC…AND ALL THE GIRLS WHO PAINT LIKE SILVIA JI.
20. what’s your pet peeve ?
SHOTS TO MY FRIENDS WHO APPRECIATE ME!
So if you guys didn’t know about my boy Paser, well first off great dude and super nice guy. I met him a few years ago and I’ve had the pleasure of painting with him. He’s hard working and his style is not to be fucked with. It’s more cyborg than human and I can only imagine what he has in mind for Miami.
1. How long have you been writing
1. I painted my first piece in 98. Dabbled with it for 2 years but it wasn’t my main focus. In 2001 was when I really made it my life and passion. The rest is history.
2. Favorite Cartoon growing up?
2. My favorite cartoon growing up would have to be Transformers! I mean you really cant beat vehicles turning into robots can you?
3. What’s your motivation ?
3.I get motivated by so many things, the list would fill this whole page. A couple that come to minded is first and for most my CREWS and the people I associate myself with on a regular basis, my girl Sarah is a huge inspiration as well in my everyday walk in life. The earth, living creatures, decayed objects, rusty boxcars, and knowing that you can absolutely do anything you put your mind to.
4. Favorite rapper?
4. I dont listen to to much rap, but If i had to pick one, coming from the dirty south, Lord Infamous from Three-6-Mafia is probably on my top.
5. Favorite paint?
5. Thats a BOLD question sir. Any color from Montana “Blackline” is the jump-off. There is a color I have been messing with called “megablast” that is killer with a Cherry outline. Shit I can’t give out my arsenal.
6. Any chase stories?
6. There is way to many chase stories to tell. One that comes to mind Faek, and myself where doing this street level spot in Tennessee. It’s one of those spots that there is a 98% chance you are going to get rolled on, but fuck it spots! We were done with are fills , I went through and tied the background up between our pieces. Going for our outlines as this security hero rolled on us. I mean right up on us, lights and everything. Without hesitating, we grabbed up our bags and ran. There was already 3-4 MPD’S on our ass. Chilled out in this dumpster that smelled like total chaos, while you could hear there radios buzzing and flashlights bouncing off the dumpsters we were laying in. I peeked my head out, and the coast was clear, so I thought. Went for the car that was about 2 blocks away, and they had the block damn near shut down looking for us. How I made it to the car, I will never know. But we got out of that hairy situation. Cracked a beer, and laughed on the way home. Those are some of the key points I could remember of that story. We left with battle wounds, but it comes with the game doesn’t it?
7. Favorite color?
7. Montana Blackline hands down!!
8. Any hobbies?
8.I have many hobbies. Painting first and for most. Benching and spending as much time as I can on the rails. Railroad photograph, rusty boxcars, re-stamps and learning about different companies. I also have been spending a great bit of time building up my studio and working on fine art pieces for up-coming projects and shows.
9.what’s instore for us in the coming months?
9.In the up-coming months, I am really going to focus on QUALITY and perfecting my craft to the best of my ability. Im gunning for rare car’s always, which there is acouple on my list that I have not yet got the chance to crush, so hopefully they will come my way. I’m always on the look-out. More studio time is a must, and trying to line some trips up to get some high caliber work done with my crews, before the end of the year is over.
10. Favorite writer?
10. Yet another BOLD question sir. I don’t have a favorite writer. There are alot of heads out there that are really pushing the boundaries and I recognize that.
Task, Xaust, Supher, Codak, Timber, Dark, Like, Audroc, Rex2, Pako. Sacred, 6Cents . I really have been feeling Bacon and all of the HSA crew. This guy YesB has been an eye catcher lately as well.
11.favorite R&B song?
11. none. period.
12. Favorite team?
12. buck 85
13. If you could kick it with any superhero who would it be?
14. What’s your thoughts on graphic design and where it’s going in the future?
14. Graphic Design is ridiculous right now. There are so many people absolutely doing immaculate work, its really inspirational.
15. Favorite animal?
15. English Bulldog
16. What film do you recommend for anyone to watch?
16.”Forks over Knives”
17. What’s your favorite line to tell a girl even if it doesn’t work?
17.” Baby, are you ready to get Butlered?” Only a select few will get that one.
18. Favorite actress?
18. Scarlett Johansson
19. Favorite team?
20. Who would win in a battle? Seal team 6 or Secret Service?
20. Seal Team 6 all day. They have some machines on that team. Good luck!!
Any shout outs or plugs?
Shouts to my crews and family , MFK, (Made for killin) LAWS, (lost and worthless souls) FST (finally some talent) TM (Thoughts Manifested)
My girl Sarah, I love you baby… Anybody that let me lamp out on there couch, good looking out!! My Memphis partners Sank to Grief, Khaze, Gnars, and Wase. Taskills, my Weapons Division affiliate.
All my Texas, Chi-town, and midwest family. To everyone that has inspired me through the years, you will never understand how much it means. and last but not least MY MAN SUPHER for the Q & A’s .. Keep Killin…..